This delicious recipe is adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites recipe for Festive Black Bean Chili. I highly recommend their book, it is full of tasty vegetarian meals that are often easy to make.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBS ground cumin
- 1/2 TBS ground coriander
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 cans of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste
In a covered pot cook the onions, garlic and water on high for about 5 minutes. Add the cumin & coriander and stir for about 1 minute. Add the salsa, bell pepper and jalapeno, cover and lower heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add back beans, tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add corn and cook for another 10 minutes.